You’ll always find your heart of gold IN YOU first.
“May your heart always be joyful. May your song always be sung.”
~~ Bob Dylan
Sitting outside having breakfast recently, enjoying Neill Young in the background, our discussions quickly moved from music to free thinking, to showing others who we truly are and our willingness (or lack of willingness!) to SHINE.
We often discuss whether our commercial music “industry” of today pales in comparison to the 50’s and 60’s.
Back then, their musical intentions were about sending a valuable message, rather than commercial gain.
As you probably know, the Beatles started by playing in pubs; they did that for two years.
While no history lesson, here are four interesting “notes” about singing:
1. Singing apparently predates the spoken language. I did not know that.
2. Opera apparently developed in the 1590’s
3. Cliff Richard was a 50’s singer. (Right there, the possibility of staying young : )
4. The Bee Gees’ records spanned FIVE decades.
In the 50’s and 60’s they broke the mold.
They were spontaneous free thinkers and therefore inspirational.
Some of the biggest names didn’t even have a great voice!
So why do we love them?
Because they inspire us with empowering messages, the messages authentically and uniquely theirs. They were willing to shine.
In essence, they touched our hearts by following their hearts (of gold). The world is thankful they did.
And what about your heart of gold? Yes, yours.
Isn’t it time to reveal it and share it with the world? We all want you to.
Do you follow your heart or is that too much of a risk?
Regrettably most of us do what others do, do what others have already done.
We wonder why life feels so boring – why it seems as if something is missing.
If one analyzed today’s music we’d find it largely contrived, lacking spontaneity. Popular talent programs seem to dictate a certain formula and focus almost exclusively on voice quality.
Freedom and true self-expression are discouraged.
You do know the dangers of a closed mind, don’t you?
Refreshing thoughts from Bob Dylan:
“May you grow up to be righteous,
may you grow up to be true.
May you always know the truth
and see the lights surrounding you.
May you always be courageous,
stand upright and be strong.
May you stay forever young.”
Echoing my own contemplations:
“Many people still live off the echoes of the sixties.
Those ideas still being passed around with little ingenuity.
Rather than be original (risky), we seek approval (safety).”
Do you sense something is missing?
Perhaps you want to shine, be extraordinary and authentically YOU
I believe you’re already extraordinary. What are the two reasons you doubt that?
i) You’re unaware of your birthright and that it’s your purpose to be extra-ordinary
ii) You’re unaware you were not born to be average, mediocre – you were in fact born rich & abundant. After years immersed in society’s programming, most people eventually forget this.
ii) You’ve forgotten HOW to be YOU.
This needs to be re-awakened in you.
How do you re-awaken the extra-ordinary in you?
You do it by discovering your heart of gold – your unique talent or gift – and boldly taking action to use it. Even if you’re not “ready”!
What if your talent isn’t “popular”?
When searching for your own genius, your own uniqueness, allow it to be whatever it is.
Don’t judge it. Allow it linger.
Don’t try to fit it in with what’s already known.
It’s okay if it is – as long as it’s absolutely truly you.
Contemplate – it’s surprisingly powerful
I encourage you to contemplate. In our entertainment-filled 9-5 world we’ve lost the willingness to contemplate – we’re too busy.
We’d rather phone a friend, send a text, even wash the dishes – anything but go within.
Yet contemplation expands your understanding of yourself and the world around you.
Contemplation is free. It’s awesomely powerful.
When you contemplate, you grow, you expand.
Contemplation has the capacity to rock your world.
7 Ways to Discover Your Heart of Gold
1. Find a quiet, peaceful place. Move yourself into nature, to a bench in a tranquil park, under a shady tree at home, the warm soft sand on a beach, in your garden or curl up on your comfy couch in front of the fire in winter. Find a way to make this a special time – it signals your intention to reveal your special gifts.
2. Contemplate what you LOVE to do and what you’re GOOD at – often they’re the same.
3. Write freely – whatever comes to mind. I often mention writing, but really that’s the greatest way to open yourself up to ideas. If you truly want to discover your talents, passions, then writing causes thinking and it stirs up images as well as beautiful emotions. That’s great! This is your gift to you. Once you start, your body will luxuriate in the attention… this is called love… for you.
4. Ask yourself the following:
- What do I enjoy?
- What do I do better than others – or just as well?
- What do I love to do?
- What am I proud of?
- How do I help others right now?
- What is it about me that no-one knows?
and ask yourself this:
- If I had to choose something I love to do – what would it be?
Don’t give up, keep going until you discover your passion.
The life I’m living now was not in any way obvious to me.
Discovering my passion became a journey – perhaps it will be for you too – so you may as well start today. It’s a fun journey!
Sometimes what you’re good at is “so you” you can’t see it.
“All I can do is be me, whoever that is.” ~~ Bob Dylan
5. Select one talent or ability you love to do. Moving forward with just one of your talents will reveal even more. Yes, you have more than one – you’ll be amazed. Resist the temptation to work out where this will lead. Take one step at a time.
6. Then, take action with that one thing you love to do. If you need to, contemplate again HOW to do that. Read more about it, take courses, talk to family and friends, find ways to do more of it, or just to try it – volunteer… whatever.
7. Create an outrageous goal where you’re using your talent, what you love to do. Make it a marvelous fantasy. Don’t worry about HOW you’ll achieve it. Just dare to dream. Imagine it as if you’re already living the fruits of this fantasy. What defines a great goal?
And… what if you’re searching for the love of your life?
…or to be closer to the one you love?
It may sound crazy – but the above 7 steps will take you to that person.
Why is that? 2 Reasons:
1. If your dream is to love another and to receive their love, always start with yourself. Once you’ve allowed your heart of gold to shine, once you cherish you, you’re ready to love another heart of gold and bask in their reflection. It comes from within and you catch each others attention.
2. Being authentic is fascinating. An authentic person is attractive and fascinating. You instantly raise your self-esteem by being authentic. Once you’re being authentically you… once you’ve ditched trying to fit in, craving approval, you start sending out a strong confident message. A message you’re proud of. The company you keep starts to reflect that.
“You don’t need anybody to tell you who you are or what you are.
You are what you are!” ~~ John Lennon
Believe in you.
I facilitate the Thinking into Results program, a world-class personal development program by Bob Proctor for business owners who want to bring out the best in their employees and this is for individuals too. It brings back CHOICE, FREEDOM and OPPORTUNITY to your life.
Contact me here or at janet @ janetpooleconsulting.com … and learn how to think into results and get the results you want.
Related reading (see below)
What others are saying about Thinking into Results:
“Thinking into Results was a huge turning point for me. I used to be someone who’d lost enthusiasm for doing anything – now I’m getting up at 5am thinking of all the things I want to do. In fact, the things I need to do now are the things I WANT to do!
I’d found previous personal growth seminars, clinics, DVDs, CDs and books said a lot, but none of them did a lot. The difference with Thinking into Results is that it does a lot.
I love my new life, I know I’m on track, I know how to go forward and I’ve got the confidence to do anything.”
~~ V. Ford, Orange NSW
“It was very overwhelming to learn that your thoughts have been holding you back from the corporate growth you’ve been trying to experience. Bob helped us change the mindset to make a smooth transition from one plateau to the next.
One equation was able to take us from just over one million to just under 17 million in a matter of three years.”
~~ Christopher Guerriero,
CEO & Founder of the National Metabolic & Longevity Research Center;
CEO & Founder Wisdom Book Publishing LLC
This is Janet Poole; I believe in finding better ways to live your life and grow your business.
I believe in sharing those ideas!
Better Ways. More Freedom.